Friday, November 28, 2008

Music From My Friends 1: Russ Crandall

In my mind, I beat up jerks
Hailing from the backwaters of Washington State, now currently located in the frontwaters of Maryland, Russ Crandall is a bit of a polymath: songwriter/singer/bass player/producer/sound engineer and loving husband/father. Although I'm personally more acquainted with him as one-half a rhythm section as tight as Phil Spector's Wrecking Crew (his drummer wife Janey makes up the other 50%), Russ has recorded a vast amount of amzing songs on which he sings and plays guitar.

Where does one start with Russ's catalogue? Well, Radiation Output Determined doesn't want anyone to work too hard for listening satisfaction, so I've included five of my favorite Russongs on the box player to the right of the page (without trying to give Russ a swelled head he's also pretty nifty with a computer--he showed me how to access the widget I'm using as a music player). These songs illustrate Russ's talents not only as songwriter, but also as an interpreter of others' works. Check out his versions of "Lula" and "Two Little Lovebirds," songs by equally excellent artists about whom you will also read in the near future.

If you're liking what you're hearing, you can listen to more Russongs at the site below, as well as keep up with all the latest videogame information (oh yeah, Russ also maintains a site, with two other well-read gentlemen, that reviews movies, music, technology, and, most importantly, videogames).

http://threevue.com/russ/my-music/

No comments: